Thinking of Joining the EPS?
To join the Society, please click here to go to our online membership management page.
Joining a local camera club is a great way to develop your photography- to meet like-minded enthusiasts, learn from their experience, be inspired by the variety and quality of photographs presented by the speakers, and be challenged in the club competitions and rewarded with honest constructive criticism.
If you live in or around Edinburgh, the EPS is a very active and friendly camera club with a high quality lecture programme, regular club and inter-club competitions, and an extensive programme of tutorials for beginners and improvers in darkroom skills, studio work, and especially digital photography skills.
If you live further afield our recent programming has been conducted on-line and we anticipate that virtual meetings will become a standard part of our regular season possibly in some hybrid format with physical meetings in our premises. Virtual meetings have been very good for critiques and editing workshops.
We have a wide variety of skills in the club, with separate groups for Creative Digital, Nature, and Studio photography. There can be activities on 4 nights a week if you have the time! There is usually a bunch of folk going to a nearby pub for a pint after the Wednesday meets.
We also have the very popular DeLOS group who meet up regularly for day-trips to photographic locations or events in the area, usually with an enjoyable pub lunch at some point!
All members are invited to contribute to our annual Members’ exhibition for print, digital projected images and a growing Audio-Visual section. This is a highlight and the culmination of our season all images submitted are exhibited to the public. A variety of trophies and certificates are awarded.
The Phoenix group is an informal group of keener members of various levels of experience devoted to honest critique of each others work with a view to raising the standard of work submitted by members to the various International exhibitions and interclub competitions each year.
If you are interested in joining EPS, contact the Membership Secretary via the online contact form or come along at 7pm any Wednesday during the season (end of Sept to beginning of May) and have a look around the premises before the meeting starts at 7.30pm.
You can also attend one or two Group meetings prior to joining to see where your interests lie.
As a paid up member, you are entitled to:
- Come along to any and all EPS Wednesday meetings and other events and activities
- Sign up to any of the sub-groups for a nominal extra fee (Around £10 for the year, Phoenix has no fee)
- Join the Studio or Darkrooms with payment of the relevant extra annual fee as advertised in the membership form
- Enter the annual members exhibition
- Use of the comfortable library to read the variety of photographic magazines we subscribe to, and borrow from our extensive collection of photographic books by arrangement with the librarian.
- Your images can appear on the site via embedded Flickr Groups
- 10% discount at Fotospeed when you mention you are a member of a club affiliated to the Royal Photographic Society
- Discounted mounting and framing at Edinburgh Arts and Picture Framers
- Manager’s discretionary discount at WEX Edinburgh on Consumables and Calumet Products.
- Learn a lot about photography and have lots of fun!
Joining later in the season?
If you take out an Ordinary membership between the 1st of January and the 30th April, you will pay one half the subscription for the current season (suspended in 2020-21) (not applicable to other membership categories) However, this reduction does not apply to darkroom or studio fees which must be paid in full.
Joining after the season has ended?
The season of programmed lectures and meetings runs from 1st September to around the beginning of May (see syllabus) If you want to join after this, perhaps because you want to use the studio or darkroom, that’s great, you’ll be very welcome. We introduced a Summer Programme in 2020 and are planning to make this a regular feature of our year. Anyone joining after 1st May is able to take part in our Summer Programme and this membership will be valid until the end of the following season. You may join by clicking through to our Membership Management platform hosted by WebCollect (link at top of this page).
Should you wish to use the Studio and/or Darkroom facilities you will pay a full studio and darkroom supplements for the remainder of the season in which you join and a full subscription for the subsequent season.
If you need any help please contact the Membership Secretary, who can also provide you with the necessary keys (Fobs available for entry for a deposit of £5) and put you in contact with the relevant people who are responsible for inducting new members into the use of the darkroom or studio and the provision of the key for that facility.
Membership rates consist of several components which you can tailor to your needs. That way you only pay for what you need.
The components are:
- Basic membership (Ordinary, Country Member, Digital (on-line) Only Member (no prints or access to premises) and Student/Under 25 rates)
- Optional extras:
- Studio facilities
- Darkroom facilities
- One-off joining fee
- Key-fob deposit
- Just add up the different amounts and that is what you need to pay for the whole year.